I was looking at my eye shadows this morning and came to the realization that I have way too many shimmery ones and less matte eye shadows. It did not come as a surprise though was the fact that the shimmery ones I use way less than the matte ones. This got me wondering on how to choose the right finishes and colors for eye shadows.
I *think* as we age, shimmery eye shadowsdo us a dis-service; although some hermanas get away with it with more ease. I also believe it depends on your skin's condition and skin tone. I read somewhere that brunettes can get away with more color combinations than blondies, but I have my reservations. I just cannot wear silver e/s. I look awful.
When talking about finishes, the folks at MAC have categorized them like no one else. MAC has seven finishes to seriously fit every taste and need; and the swatch samples on their website are fabulous. I have tried five of them (matte, frost, lustre, satin and veluxed pearl) and love them all. MAC eyeshadows are amongst the most blendable, and the variety is amazing.
- FROST - An iridescent shine that adds a highlight quality to any colour.
- LUSTRE - Smoothly pearlized; intensely frosted with a deluxe ultra-fine finish.
- MATTE - High-color pay-off in a no-shine matte finish.
- SATIN - Pure color in a satin-style finish. Provides a soft subtle non-frost, light-refractive sheen.
- VELUXE - Superfine texture. Pigment rich, silky smooth matte finish.
- VELUXE PEARL - Vibrantly tones and velvety soft with a metallic shimmer. Overlaid with high-shine pearl.
- VELVET - Soft look finish with high-color intensity. Has a velvety look and feel.
My palette is mostly neutral and towards the bronze/golds. My favorite tones are:
Rice Paper (frost)
Antiqued (veluxed pearl)
I wear the matte finish both as an accent shadow and also as an upper lid eyeliner. My veluxed ones I use sometimes as a lower lid all over shadow and also as an under-eye-liner (more fun than the usual blahness of either maroon or black, and more subtle). Frosts and lustres I olnly use for under my brow bone, or for an all-over highlight.
What are your favorite finishes? Do you shimmer away or are you from the matte-est-mysterious clan? Do tell.
p.s. Don't forget your primer and clean brushes!!!!